Friday 9 May 1919
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Arthur English and Clifford Chadderton.
Broken Blossoms or The Yellow Man and the Girl, directed by D.W. Griffith, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1919
while The Sky Pilot in No Man's Land by Ralph Connor was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1919 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Arthur English: English actor and comedian (d. 1995).
- Clifford Chadderton: Canadian soldier and journalist (d. 2013).
- In Belgium, a new electoral law introduces universal manhood suffrage and gives the franchise to certain classes of women.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1919 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- A Good Man is Hard to Find - Marion Harris
- Till We Meet Again - Prince's Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?