Thursday 8 May 1919
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Lex Barker and Sultan Ismail.
Broken Blossoms or The Yellow Man and the Girl, directed by D.W. Griffith, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1919
while The Desert of Wheat by Zane Gre was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 8 May 1919 ?
- Saints Wiro, Plechelmus and Otger
- Saint Macharius of Ghent (died 1012)
- Parents' Day in South Korea
- Iris feast of the Region of Brussels capital (in Belgium)
- VE Day
- World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day
- Saint Ida of Nivelles
- Lex Barker: American actor best known for playing Tarzan of the Apes and leading characters from Karl May's novels.
- Sultan Ismail: Hajibeyov composer.
- 1st transatlantic flight take-off by a navy seaplane
- Appingedam soccer team forms.
- Edward George Honey first proposes the idea of a moment of silence to commemorate The Armistice of World War I, which later results in the creation of Remembrance Day. In the United States it was called Armistice Day and is now Veterans Day.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1919 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- A Good Man is Hard to Find - Marion Harris
- Till We Meet Again - Prince's Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?