Saturday 8 August 1942
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 8, 1942). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Dennis Canavan and Garrison Keillor.
The Talk of the Town, directed by George Stevens, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 8 August 1942
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1942!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1942 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Dennis Canavan: Scottish politician; Labour Member of Parliament returned at General Election 6/11/1987.
- Tobin Bell: Actor.
- Garrison Keillor: Writer.
- Jay David: Rocker (Dr Hook & Medicine Show).
- John Gustafson: English singer-songwriter and bass player (Roxy Music Ian Gillan Band The Big Three Quatermass and Episode Six) (d. 2014).
- Vardo Rumessen: Estonian pianist and musicologist (d. 2015).
- Monty appointed Commandant of British 8th Army at Alamein
- 6 convicted Nazi saboteurs who landed in US executed in Washington DC
- Dianthus sinks U-379
- Russ anti-offensive of Voronezh under marshal Timosjenko
- Six convicted German saboteurs who landed in US are executed in Washington DC.
- Walt Disney's animated film, Bambi is released in United Kingdom
- Indian leader, Mohandas Gandhi is arrested in Bombay by British forces.
- ''Start'', led by the goalkeeper Nikolai Trusevich, play football against the German Luftwaffe team Flakelf in Nazi-occupied Kiev. Against all odds, they win 5–3. Eight of them are later arrested and tortured, and at least four are killed.