Saturday 1 August 1942
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jerry Garcia in San Francisco and Andre Gagnon.
Holiday Inn, directed by Mark Sandrich, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1942!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1942 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- Jerry Garcia in San Francisco: California, USA; rocker (Grateful Dead - "Uncle Joe's Band").
- Andre Gagnon: French Canadian pianist and composer.
- Jerry Garcia: American musician (guitar), singer and songwriter, and popular leader of the top rock group "The Grateful Dead.
- Giancarlo Giannini: Italian sad eyed actor, the tragicomic protagonist of many Wertmuller films.
- Adriano Sofri: Italian homicide accomplice, a member of a political group, Lotta Continua, who were implicated in an assassination.
- Deurne soccer team forms
- German occupier demands listing of all Dutch telephone subscribers
- Race riots in Harlem, New York
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 August 1942
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?