Sunday 16 August 1942
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Florin Bogardo and Lesley Turner Bowrey.
The Talk of the Town, directed by George Stevens, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
while The Song of Bernadette by Franz Werfel was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Star Map on 16 August 1942
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1942!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1942 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Florin Bogardo
- Lesley Turner Bowrey
- Les Hunter
- Pascal Bertin: French student, involved in the attempt to assassinate President Charles de Gaulle on 22 August 1962 in Clamart, France.
- John Challis: English actor.
- Barbara George: American singer and songwriter (d. 2006).
- Premier Churchill travels back to Cairo from Moscow
- World War II: The two-person crew of the U.S. naval blimp L-8 disappears without a trace on a routine anti-submarine patrol over the Pacific Ocean. The blimp drifts without her crew and crash-lands in Daly City, California.
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?