Monday 31 August 1942
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on August 31, 1942). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Gérard Pirès and George Kuchar.
Manila Calling, directed by Herbert I. Leeds, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 31 August 1942
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 August 1942!
Which were the important events of 31 August 1942 ?
- Trinidad and Tobago - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1962)
- Kyrgyzstan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Malaysia - Hari Merdeka, a National Day (independence within the Commonwealth, 1957)
- Moldova: Day of Our Language (Limba Noastra)
- Calendar of Saints - Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne, San Abbondio, Saint Raymond Nonnatus
- Gérard Pirès
- George Kuchar
- Christopher Morgan: American TV producer who was nominated for an Emmy for "Police Story," at the awards ceremony in Santa Monica, CA on 5/19/1975.
- Jean-Michel Ferrand
- Daniel Percheron: French politician who has served in the Senate of France, representing the Pas-de-Calais department, since 1983.
- Carole Wells in Shreveport: Louisiana, USA; actress (Pistols n Petticoats).
- Isao Aoki: Abiko Chiba, Japan -- PGA golfer (1983 Hawaiian Open).
- Jean-Claude Killy: Athlete.
- Von Bismarck: German major General, (Africa Corps), dies in battle.
- Battle at Alam Halfa: German and Italians assault
- U-boats sunk this month 108 ships (544,000 ton)
- A general strike is launched in Luxembourg to protest against forced conscription.