Wednesday 19 August 1942
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 19, 1942). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Fred Thompson and Michiel Patijn.
Orchestra Wives, directed by Archie Mayo, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 19 August 1942
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 August 1942!
Which were the important events of 19 August 1942 ?
- Roman festivals - Vinalia Rustica celebrated in honor of Venus Libitina commemorating the founding of the oldest known temple to her, on the Esquiline Hill, in 293 BC on this date.
- RC saints - Saint Sebald, Saint Louis of Toulouse, Jean-Eudes de MTzeray
- Afghanistan - Afghan Independence Day see above: 1919
- National Day of the Filipino Language, Philippines - Holiday for Quezon City, Quezon Province and other municipalities named after Manuel Quezon
- National Aviation Day, USA
- Fred Thompson: American lawyer, politician and sometime actor, he is the subject of a "Draft Thompson for President in 2008" movement.
- Michiel Patijn: Dutch Assistant Secretary of State of Foreign Affairs (1994- ).
- 4,000 Canadian and British soldiers killed raiding Dieppe, France
- Gen Paulus orders German 6th Army to conquer Stalingrad
- World War II: Operation Jubilee : the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division leads an amphibious assault by allied forces on Dieppe, France and fails, many Canadians are killed or captured. The operation was doomed to fail, and was intended to develop and try new amphibious landing tactics for the coming full invasion in Normandy.