Sunday 23 August 1942
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on August 23, 1942). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Patricia McBride and Nancy Richey.
Orchestra Wives, directed by Archie Mayo, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 23 August 1942
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 August 1942!
Which were the important events of 23 August 1942 ?
- Astrology - Last day of sun sign Leo in the tropical zodiac
- Swaziland - Umhlanga Day
- Romania - Liberation Day (1944)
- RC Saints - Saint Rose of Lima
- Roman festivals - Vulcanalia
- Patricia McBride: American ballerina with the longest career on record as principal dancer for 28 years with The New York City Ballet.
- Nancy Richey
- Susana Vieira
- Nancy Richey Gunther in San Antonio: Texas, USA; tennis player (US Doubles 1965, 1966).
- Patricia Mc: Teaneck artists.
- Letta Mbulu: South African-American singer and actress.
- 1st US flights to land on Guadalcanal
- Battle of Stalingrad: 600 Luftwaffers bomb Stalingrad (40,000 die)
- British Premier Winston Churchill flies back to London from Cairo
- Walter Johnson pitches to Babe Ruth in pregame attraction that draws 69,000 for NY - Washington game (raises $80,000 for Army-Navy relief
- World War II: Beginning of the Battle of Stalingrad.
- WWII: Japanese marines land at Milne Bay.
- Prince George, Duke of Kent, brother to King George VI and King Edward VIII, dies in a flying accident over Morven in Scotland at the age of 39.