Monday 17 August 1942
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Michel Creton and Muslim Magomayev.
The Talk of the Town, directed by George Stevens, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
while And Now Tomorrow by Rachel Field was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1942!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1942 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- Michel Creton: French actor and TV personality.
- Muslim Magomayev: World Music Singer.
- Khagen Mahanta: Indian singer (d. 2014).
- Shane Porteous: Australian actor animator and screenwriter.
- 1st European bombing run undertaken by US forces
- 1st US / 8th Air Force bombs Europe
- Task Force 17 leaves Pearl Harbor under Admiral George Murray on Hornet
- U.S. Marines raid the Japanese-held Pacific island of Makin (Butaritari).
- World War II: The U.S. Eighth Air Force begins regular combat operations in Europe with an attack on the marshalling yards at Rouen-Sotteville.
- WWII: First raid by heavy bombers of U.S. Eighth Air Force against occupied France.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?