Saturday 15 August 1942
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Maryse Joissains-Masini and Larry Hartsell.
The Talk of the Town, directed by George Stevens, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
while Windswept Mary by Ellen Chase was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1942!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1942 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Maryse Joissains-Masini
- Larry Hartsell: American martial arts instructor (d. 2007).
- Dennis Whitney: American homicide; shot and killed a victim after each of his five hold-ups on February 12, 20, 21, 28 and 29, 1960.
- Mahadev Desai: personal secretary of Mahatma Gandhi (Born1892).
- 5 hostages executed by Nazis in St-Michielsgestel
- The United States 101st Airborne Division is officially activated, at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana.
- World War II: Operation Pedestal : The SS Ohio reaches the island of Malta barely afloat carrying vital fuel supplies for the island's defenses.
- Polish-Jewish teacher Janusz Korczak follows a group of Jewish children into the Treblinka death camp.
- The U.S. Navy blimp ''L-8'' (Flight 101) comes ashore near San Francisco, eventually coming down in Daly City (the crew is missing).
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?