Sunday 9 August 1942
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Miguel Littin and Tommie Agee.
Bambi, directed by James Algar, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
while Dragon Seed by Pearl S. Buck was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 August 1942!
Which were the important events of 9 August 1942 ?
- St. Nathy (or David)
- Feast day of the great martyr Saint Panteleimon in Russian Orthodox Church
- St. Fedlimid/Felimy
- St. Romanus Ostiarius
- St. Edith Stein
- Singapore: National Day
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Jean Vianney
- Miguel Littin: Actor (Promised Land, Alsino & Condor).
- Tommie Agee: American baseball player (d. 2001).
- Jack DeJohnette: American drummer pianist and composer.
- David Steinberg: Canadian actor director producer and screenwriter.
- Edith Stein: German Jew who took the name of Teresa Benedicta of the Cross as a Roman Catholic nun.
- 200 Jews escape Mir Ghetto in Poland
- Mahatma Gandhi and 50 others arrested in Bombay after passing of a quit India campaign by the All-India Congress
- Vice-Adm Mikawa lands at Guadalcanal, Solomon Island
- World War II: Battle of Savo Island : Allied naval forces protecting their amphibious forces during the initial stages of the Battle of Guadalcanal are surprised and defeated by an Imperial Japanese Navy cruiser force.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?