Tuesday 8 April 1947
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Cindy Pickett in Norman and Hsiao-hsien Hou.
This Happy Breed, directed by David Lean, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching Juvenile Jury.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 April 1947!
Which were the important events of 8 April 1947 ?
- Saint Constance
- Buddha's Birthday in Japan
- Saint Walter of Pontoise (died 1099)
- Saint Julie Billiart of Namur (died 1816).
- Cindy Pickett in Norman: Oklahoma, USA; actress (Guiding Light, St. Elsewhere).
- Hsiao-hsien Hou: Dir (Cheerful Wind, City of Sadness, Puppetmaster).
- Steve Howe in London: England; rock guitarist (Asia, Yes - "Roundabout").
- Thomas D Delay American politician (Representative-Republican-Texas: 1985-).
- Gerald McRaney in Collins: Mississippi, USA; actor (Rick - Simon and Simon, Major Dad).
- Tom DeLay: American politician, member of the Republican Party, a conservative in the House of Representatives. Particularly noted for his tenacity and for his heavy-handed, arm-twisting approach in politics, DeLay is nicknamed "The Hammer." After he became House Whip, he explained, "I'm a hard-working, aggressive, persistent whip. That's why I'm whip. I worked harder than anyone else. I raised more money than anyone else. I was smarter than anybody else in the race. I won because I worked hard and I don't
- Pascal Lamy: French political consultant and businessman. He was the Director-General of the World Trade Organization (WTO) until 1 September 2013. His appointment took effect on 1 September 2005 for a four-year term. In April 2009, WTO members reappointed Lamy for a second four-year term, beginning on 1 September 2009. He was then succeeded by Roberto Azevêdo. Pascal Lamy was also European Commissioner for Trade and is currently the Honorary President of the Paris-based think tank, Notre Europe.
- Ray Wilson:
- Steve Howe: English guitarist songwriter and producer (Yes Asia Tomorrow GTR and Bodast)
- Robert Kiyosaki: American businessman co-founded Cashflow Technologies
- Larry Norman: American musician, singer, songwriter and producer (Born 1947)
- Henry Ford: American entrepreneur and noted family, the eldest son of Edsel Bryant Ford and grandson of industrial tycoon Henry Ford.
- Largest recorded sunspots (7,000) observed.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1947 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- My Adobe Hacienda - Eddy Howard & His Orchestra
- Heartaches - Harry James & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?