Wednesday 9 May 1928US date format: 5/9/1928, UK date format: 9/5/1928
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 9, 1928). The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Pancho Gonzales and Barbara-Ann Scott.
Across to Singapore, directed by William Nigh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1928
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 May 1928
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1928 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Pancho Gonzales: Mexican-American tennis champ, known for a strong serve and fiery on-court personality, a winner of the U.S.
- Barbara-Ann Scott
- Pall Pampichier Palsson: Composer.
- Pancho Gonzalez: American tennis player (d. 1995).
- Richard A "Pancho" Gonzalez in Los Angeles: California, USA; tennis star (US 1948-49).
- Barbara Ann Scott: Athlete.
- Richard Gonzales: Los Angeles sports Champions.
- Michel Drancourt: Cambrai Journalist.
- Barbara Scott: Canadian-American figure skater (d. 2012).
- Ralph Goings: American painter closely associated with the Photorealism movement of the late 1960s and early 1970s.
- Barbara Ann Scott: Ottawa, Ontario -- Figure skater (1948 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Constantin Dimitrescu: Composer, dies at 81.