Wednesday 9 May 1928
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Pancho Gonzales and Barbara-Ann Scott.
Across to Singapore, directed by William Nigh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1928
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 May 1928
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1928 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Pancho Gonzales: Mexican-American tennis champ, known for a strong serve and fiery on-court personality, a winner of the U.S.
- Barbara-Ann Scott
- Pancho Gonzalez: American tennis player (d. 1995).
- Richard A "Pancho" Gonzalez in Los Angeles: California, USA; tennis star (US 1948-49).
- Ralph Goings: American painter closely associated with the Photorealism movement of the late 1960s and early 1970s.
- Barbara Ann Scott: Ottawa, Ontario -- Figure skater (1948 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Michel Drancourt: Cambrai Journalist.
- Barbara Scott: Canadian-American figure skater (d. 2012).
- Richard Gonzales: Los Angeles sports Champions.
- Pall Pampichier Palsson: Composer.
- Constantin Dimitrescu: Composer, dies at 81.