Tuesday 5 May 1942
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 5, 1942). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Tammy Wynette and Tammy Wynette in Redbay.
Down Texas Way, directed by Howard Bretherton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 5 May 1942
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 5 May 1942 ?
- Martyrs Neophytos, Gaius and Gaianus
- Euthymios the Wonderworker
- Barlaam of Serpukhov
- Martin and Heraclius of Illyria
- Eulogios the Confessor
- New Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri
- Albania: Martyrs' Day.
- Great Martyr Irene
- Roly Poly of Georgia.
- Saint Aventinus (d. 1189)
- Ethiopia: Liberation Day (1941).
- International Midwives Day.
- Adrian of Monzensk
- South Korea: Children's Day.
- Guyana: Indian Immigration Day (1838).
- Council of Europe: Europe Day.
- International No Pants Day.
- Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Taiwan (2006): Buddha's Birthday.
- Japan: Tango no Sekku (Boy's Day) or Kodomo no hi (Children's Day).
- Mexico and (informally) the United States: Cinco de Mayo (1862).
- Tammy Wynette: American country singer, named the Country Music Association's Female Vocalist-Of-The-Year three times.
- Tammy Wynette in Redbay: Alabama, USA; country singer ("Stand by your Man").
- Istvan Bujtor: Hungarian actor (d. 2009).
- Marc Alaimo: American actor.
- Amy Hill: Actress (Grandma-Seinfeld, Pauly Shore).
- Jean Corston: Baroness Corston English lawyer and politician.
- Hugh Courtenay: 18th Earl of Devon English politician (d. 2015).
- István Bujtor: Hungarian actor director producer and screenwriter (d. 2009).
- Qemal Stafa: Albanian politician (Born 1920).
- US begins rationing sugar during WWII
- British assault on Diego Suarez, Madagascar.
- WWII ampndash Operation Ironclad: United Kingdom forces invade the French colony of Madagascar.