Friday 9 May 1941
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 9, 1941). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jan Dibbets and Pete Birrell.
Blood and Sand, directed by Rouben Mamoulian, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1941
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 May 1941
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1941 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Jan Dibbets: Sculptor / artist (Dutch Mountains).
- Pete Birrell: rock bassist (Freddie and The Dreamers).
- Dorothy Hyman: England, United Kingdom -- Sprinter (1960 Olympics - Silver Medalist).
- English Army breaks German spy codes.
- World War II: The German submarine U-110 is captured by the Royal Navy. On board is the latest Enigma cryptography machine which Allied cryptographers later use to break coded German messages.
- WWII: The British House of Commons is damaged by the Luftwaffe in an air raid.
- Rudolf Hess parachutes into Scotland, claiming to be on a peace mission.