Tuesday 12 May 1942
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 12, 1942). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Michel Fugain and Muguette Jacquaint.
Yankee Doodle Dandy, directed by Michael Curtiz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 12 May 1942
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 May 1942!
Which were the important events of 12 May 1942 ?
- Saint Epiphanius
- Saint Domitilla
- Day of Finnishness in Finland; Commemoration day of J. V. Snellman.
- International Nurses Day
- Saint Modoald
- Buddhism in Sri Lanka, Thailand - Visakha Bucha. (2006) 
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2005: the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar.
- Blessed Imelda
- Saint Pancras (died 304), second of the Ice Saints
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Saints Achilleus and Nereus
- Saint Joan of Portugal
- Michel Fugain: French musician, singer and composer.
- Muguette Jacquaint
- Dumitru Dediu: in Romania; cosmonaut (Soyuz 40 backup).
- Ian Dury: English singer-songwriter and actor (The Blockheads and Kilburn and the High Roads) (d. 2000).
- Barry B[rookes] Longyear: United States -- Sci-fi author (City of Baraboo).
- Dragoljub Velimirović: Serbian chess player and theoretician (d. 2014).
- Billy Swan: American songwriter and singer.
- Timothy Hugh Brown: Theatre critic.
- Nazi U-boat sinks American cargo ship at mouth of Mississippi River
- Russia occupies Crackow, until August 23, 1943
- David Ben-Gurion leaves Jewish state in Palestine.
- German submarine sinks American cargo ship at mouth of Mississippi River.
- World War II: Second Battle of Kharkov: in eastern Ukraine, Red Army forces under Marshal Semyon Timoshenko launch a major offensive from the Izium bridgehead, only to be encircled and destroyed by the troops of Army Group South two weeks later.
- Holocaust: 1,500 Jews are sent to gas chambers in Auschwitz.
- WWII The Japanese minelayer Okinoshima is sunk by the American submarine USS S-42 (SS-153).