Friday 8 May 1942US date format: 5/8/1942, UK date format: 8/5/1942
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus (see birth chart on May 8, 1942). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Benoît Dauga and Euclid James Sherwood.
Down Texas Way, directed by Howard Bretherton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 8 May 1942
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Personalized book about You
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 8 May 1942 ?
- Saints Wiro, Plechelmus and Otger
- Saint Macharius of Ghent (died 1012)
- Parents' Day in South Korea
- Iris feast of the Region of Brussels capital (in Belgium)
- VE Day
- World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day
- Saint Ida of Nivelles
- Benoît Dauga
- Euclid James Sherwood
- Norman Lamont: British politician, a conservative M.P.
- Michele Dancelli
- Jack Blanchard
- Judson Huss
- Pierre Morency: Canadian poet and playwright.
- Ruth Holland: Journalist.
- Terry Neill: Irish footballer and manager.
- Euclid "Motorhead": Sherwood; rocker (Mothers Of Invention).
- Benoit Dauga: French rugby player, a legend in today’s...
- Jim Sherwood: American musician, a sax player with...
- Martin Dobkin: Canadian doctor and politician 2nd Mayor...
- Robin Hobbs: English cricketer.
- 1st twilight game in 24 years, the Dodgers top Giants 7-6 raising $60,000 for Navy Relief Fund
- Aircraft carrier Lexington sunk by Japanese air attack at Coral Sea
- German summer offensive opens in Crimea
- World War II: The Battle of the Coral Sea comes to an end with Japanese Imperial Navy aircraft carrier aircraft attacking and sinking the United States Navy aircraft carrier USS Lexington. The battle marks the first time in the naval history that two enemy fleets fight without visual contact between warring ships.
- May 9 ampndash WWII: At night, gunners of the Ceylon Garrison Artillery on Horsburgh Island in the Cocos Islands rebel. Their mutiny is crushed and 3 of them executed (the only British Commonwealth soldiers to be executed for mutiny during the Second World War).