Friday 8 May 1942
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Ruth Holland and Euclid "Motorhead".
This Gun for Hire, directed by Frank Tuttle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 8 May 1942 ?
- Saints Wiro, Plechelmus and Otger
- Saint Macharius of Ghent (died 1012)
- Parents' Day in South Korea
- Iris feast of the Region of Brussels capital (in Belgium)
- VE Day
- World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day
- Saint Ida of Nivelles
- Ruth Holland: Journalist.
- Euclid "Motorhead": Sherwood; rocker (Mothers Of Invention).
- Benoit Dauga: French rugby player, a legend in today’s rugby.
- Norman Lamont: British politician, a conservative M.P.
- Jim Sherwood: American musician, a sax player with "Mothers of Invention.
- Michele Dancelli:
- Martin Dobkin: Canadian doctor and politician 2nd Mayor of Mississauga
- Robin Hobbs: English cricketer
- Pierre Morency: Canadian poet and playwright
- Terry Neill: Irish footballer and manager
- 1st twilight game in 24 years, the Dodgers top Giants 7-6 raising $60,000 for Navy Relief Fund
- Aircraft carrier Lexington sunk by Japanese air attack at Coral Sea
- German summer offensive opens in Crimea
- World War II: The Battle of the Coral Sea comes to an end with Japanese Imperial Navy aircraft carrier aircraft attacking and sinking the United States Navy aircraft carrier USS Lexington. The battle marks the first time in the naval history that two enemy fleets fight without visual contact between warring ships.
- May 9 ampndash WWII: At night, gunners of the Ceylon Garrison Artillery on Horsburgh Island in the Cocos Islands rebel. Their mutiny is crushed and 3 of them executed (the only British Commonwealth soldiers to be executed for mutiny during the Second World War).
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 8 May 1942
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?