Thursday 16 May 1957
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Joan Benoit Samuelson in Cape Elizabeth and Joan Benoit.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to All Shook Up by Elvis Presley.
In UK Butterfly by Andy Williams was in the top 5 hits.
Desk Set, directed by Walter Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while The Scapegoat by Daphne du Maurier was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Date with the Angels.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 May 1957!
Which were the important events of 16 May 1957 ?
- Saint HonorT of Amiens
- Saint Andrew Bobola
- Saint Ubaldus
- Adelaide Cup day - South Australia (2005).
- Saint Simon Stock
- Saint John Nepomuk or John Nepomucene (1330 - 1393)
- Saint Brendan the Navigator - also in the Irish Calendar.
- Teacher's Day in Malaysia.
- Joan Benoit Samuelson in Cape Elizabeth: Maine, USA; marathon runner (Olympics-gold-1984).
- Joan Benoit: American road runner, a premier woman runner whose practice of some 120 miles a week began to pay off in 1979 when she became the fastest U.S.
- Benjamin Mancroft: 3rd Baron Mancroft English politician.
- Yuri Shevchuk: Russian singer-songwriter and guitarist (DDT).
- Anthony St John: 22nd Baron St John of Bletso English lawyer and businessman.
- Bob Suter: American ice hockey player and coach (d. 2014)
- Eliot Ness: American federal agent (Born 1903).
- Pope Pius XII publishes encyclical Invicti Athletae
- Maj Irwin, USAAF flies a Lockheed Starfight to a record 1,404.18 mph
- US launches its third atomic submarine, USS Skate, at Groton, Connecticut.
- Yanks involved in Copacabana Incident, leads to Billy Martin trade
- Major Irwin, US Air Force flies a Lockheed Starfighter to a record 1,404.18 MPH.
- Paul-Henri Spaak becomes the new Secretary General of NATO.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - All Shook Up
- The Diamonds - Little Darlin'
- Perry Como - Round And Round
- Ferlin Husky - Gone
- The Dell-Vikings - Come Go With Me
- Buddy Knox - Party Doll
- Jimmy Dorsey - So Rare
- Chuck Berry - School Day (Ring Ring Goes the Bell)
- Pat Boone - Why Baby Why
- Marty Robbins - A White Sport Coat (And A Pink Carnation)
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?