Thursday 11 November 1926, Veteran's Day
It was Thursday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Maria-Teresa de Filippis and William J Scott.
Spangles, directed by Frank O'Connor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1926
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 11 November 1926
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 November 1926!
Which were the important events of 11 November 1926 ?
- Colombia - Independence of Cartagena, from the Spanish Army in (1918)
- Remembrance Day in the Commonwealth of Nations, including United Kingdom, Australia and Canada.
- Lacplesis' Day (1919) in Latvia: the official date for commemoration of Latvian soldiers, who had died for the country's freedom.
- Armistice Day in France and Belgium: end of World War I (1918)
- Poland - Independence Day (1918)
- R.C. Saints - Martin of Tours
- Angola - Independence Day (1975)
- Opening of carnival season in Germany ("Karneval"/"Fasching" on 11-11, at 11:11), the Netherlands, and other countries
- Also see November 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Veterans Day (Formerly "Armistice Day")
- South Korea - Pepero Day
- Maria-Teresa de Filippis
- William J Scott
- William Scott: American politician, Republican Illinois State Treasurer from 1963 to 1967.
- Harry Lumley: Canadian ice hockey player (Born 1926).
- Maria de Filippis: Italian race car driver (d. 2016).
- Eddie Collins is released as White Sox manager
- U.S. Route 66 is established.
- ''U.S. Route 66'' is established.
- The ''NBC'' radio network opens with 24 stations (formed by Westinghouse, General Electric and RCA).
- The Balfour Declaration is approved by the 1926 Imperial Conference, making the Commonwealth dominions equal and independent.
- The village of Rocquebillier in the French Riviera is almost destroyed in a massive hailstorm.
- Sri Aurobindo retires, leaving ''The Mother'' to run the Sri Aurobindo Ashram in Pondicherry, India.
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1926 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Lucky Day - George Olsen & His Orchestra
- Baby Face - Ipana Troubadors
- Barcelona - Ben Selvin & His Orchestra