Saturday 12 August 1944
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Bernard Boursicot and Donna Michele.
The Falcon in Mexico, directed by William Berke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while The Green Years by A. J. Cronin was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Missus Goes A-Shopping.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 August 1944!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the important events of 12 August 1944 ?
- Bernard Boursicot: French minor administrator who had a affair in China that was so romantic and so strange that it gave birth to the sensational New York play, M. Butterfly.
- Donna Michele: Playmate (Dec, 1963) / actress (Beach Blanket Bingo).
- Peter Hofmann: German tenor.
- Joseph P Kennedy: Jr.
- Churchill and Tito meet in Naples
- Pipeline under ocean (Pluto) begins operating
- Waffen SS troops massacre 560 people in Sant'Anna di Stazzema.
- Alencon is liberated by General Leclerc, the first city in France to be liberated from the Nazis by French forces.
- The Allies capture Florence, Italy.
- Operation Pluto: The world's first undersea oil pipeline is laid between England and France.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1944 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?