Thursday 24 August 1944
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Gregory Bruce Jarvis and Gregory B Jarvis in Detroit.
The Falcon in Mexico, directed by William Berke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Missus Goes A-Shopping.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 August 1944!
Which were the important events of 24 August 1944 ?
- Liberia: Flag Day
- RC Saints - Feast day of Saint Bartholomew
- Roman festivals - first of the 3 days on which the mundus was opened
- Ukraine: National Holiday, independence from Russia (1991)
- Sierra Leone: President's Birthday
- Gregory Bruce Jarvis: Detroit, Michigan -- Astronaut (STS 25).
- Gregory B Jarvis in Detroit: Michigan, USA; astronaut (STS 25).
- Chris Chubbuck: American news commentator.
- Paulo Leminski: Brazilian poet, known for his exquisite verbal invention and detached irony.
- Rocky Johnson: Canadian professional wrestler.
- Henry Braden: American lawyer and politician (d. 2013)
- Bill Goldsworthy: Canadian-American ice hockey player and coach (d. 1996)
- Gregory Jarvis: American captain engineer and astronaut (d. 1986)
- Gen LeClercs troops open assault on Paris
- Liberation of Paris: The Allies enter Paris, successfully completing Operation Overlord.
- Japanese attack the USS ''Harder''
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1944 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?