Wednesday 9 August 1944
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Sam Elliott and Patrick Depailler.
The Falcon in Mexico, directed by William Berke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Missus Goes A-Shopping.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 August 1944!
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the important events of 9 August 1944 ?
- St. Nathy (or David)
- Feast day of the great martyr Saint Panteleimon in Russian Orthodox Church
- St. Fedlimid/Felimy
- St. Romanus Ostiarius
- St. Edith Stein
- Singapore: National Day
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Jean Vianney
- Sam Elliott: Movie Actor.
- Patrick Depailler: French race car driver who participated in 95 World Championship Formula One Grands Prix, debuting on 2 July 1972.
- John Simpson (journalist)
- Sam Elliot in California: USA; actor (Big Chill, Fatal Beauty).
- George Armstrong: English footballer (d. 2000).
- Patricia McKissack: American soldier engineer and author.
- John Simpson: English journalist and author.
- Viv Prince: Rocker (Pretty Things).
- Gerrit Jan Wolffensperger: Dutch MP (D66).
- 12 workers of Dutch illegal paper Trouw, executed at Camp Vught
- Smokey Bear debuts as spokeman for fire prevention
- US 79th / 90th division enter Le Mans
- Continuation war: The Vyborg : Petrozavodsk Offensive, the largest offensive launched by Soviet Union against Finland during the Second World War, ends to a strategic stalemate. Both Finnish and Soviet troops at the Finnish front dug to defensive positions, and the front remains stable until the end of the war.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1944 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- It Had To Be You - Betty Hutton
- Time Waits For No One - Helen Forrest
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?