Wednesday 30 August 1944
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Charles Colbert and John Surman.
Arsenic and Old Lace, directed by Frank Capra, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Missus Goes A-Shopping.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 30 August 1944!
Which were the important events of 30 August 1944 ?
- International Day of the Disappeared
- Turkey - Victory Day (to commemorate the Battle of Dumlupinar in 1922)
- Peru - Saint Rose of Lima's Day
- Charles Colbert: Chicago, Illinois -- Rocker (American Breed).
- John Surman: Jazz musician.
- Molly Ivins: AAmerican journalist and liberal political commentator, noted for poking fun at Texan culture, politicians and those who had grown "too big for their britches.
- Frances Cairncross: English economist journalist and academic.
- Freek de Jonge: Dutch comedian (Neerlands Hoop).
- Tug McGraw: American baseball player, father of Tim McGraw (Born 1944)
- Morten Nielsen: Danish resistance fighter.
- 11th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: Chi Bears 24, All-Stars 21 (48,769)
- Soviet troops enter Bucharest, Romania.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1944 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Dance with a Dolly (With a Hole in Her Stocking) - Evelyn Knight
- Mills Brothers - Till Then
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?