Wednesday 2 August 1944
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Joanna Cassidy [Caskey] in Haddonfield and Nana Vasconcelos.
The Falcon in Mexico, directed by William Berke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Missus Goes A-Shopping.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 August 1944!
Which were the important events of 2 August 1944 ?
- St. Etheldritha/Alfrida
- St. Alphonsus Mary de Ligouri
- St. Stephen
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 4 saints: St. Peter Julian Eymard
- Feast day of Ilya the Prophet in Russian Orthodox Church
- Bulgaria/Republic of Macedonia - Ilinden (St. Ilya Day), a day of remembrance of the Ilinden Uprising
- Costa Rica - Our Lady of the Angels
- Day of airborne forces in Russia
- Joanna Cassidy [Caskey] in Haddonfield: New Jersey, USA; actress (240 Robert).
- Nana Vasconcelos: Brazilian jazz percussionist and vocalist.
- Tony Costa: American homicide; found guilty of the murder of two women who had disappeared from Provincetown on 1/26/1969.
- Peter Stachura: Peter D. Stachura was born in Scotland of Polish emigré parents.
- Jim Capaldi: English drummer and songwriter (Traffic) (d. 2005).
- Naná Vasconcelos: Brazilian singer and berimbau player
- Amsterdam soccer team The Volewijckers plays in orange shirts
- Jewish survivors of Kovono Ghetto emerge from their bunker
- Turkey breaks diplomatic relationship with Nazi-Germany
- ASNOM: birth of the Socialist Republic of Macedonia, celebrated as Day of the Republic in the Republic of Macedonia.
- The First Assembly of ASNOM is held in the Prohor Pchinski monastery.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1944 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Time Waits for No One - Johnny Long & His Orchestra
- Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby - Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five
- Merry Macs - Pretty Kitty Blue Eyes
- His Rocking Horse Ran Away - Betty Hutton
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?