Sunday 15 August 1909
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was William Howard Taft (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include GA Oorschot and Hugo Winterhalter.
The Way of the Cross, directed by J. Stuart Blackton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1909
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 15 August 1909
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1909!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1909 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- GA Oorschot: Dutch writer, poet and influential publisher of modern Dutch writers and the Russian world literature.
- Hugo Winterhalter: American composer and bandleader (d. 1973).
- Euclides da Cunha: Brazilian writer and sociologist (Born 1866).
- A group of mid-level Greek Army officers launches the Goudi coup, seeking wide-ranging reforms.