Monday August 16, 1909
US date format: 8/16/1909, UK date format: 16/8/1909
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo (see birth chart on August 16, 1909). The US president was William Howard Taft (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Paul Smith Callaway and Albert Lauzero.
Far from the Madding Crowd, directed by Thomas Vinterberg, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1909
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of August 16, 1909?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 16, 1909?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Arthur Collins - I Love, I Love, I Love My Wife, but Oh You Kid!
- Bob Roberts - I Love My Wife, But Oh You Kid!
- Peerless Quartet (Columbia Male Quartet) - My Pony Boy