Thursday 15 January 2009
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on January 15, 2009). The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Just Dance by Lady GaGa.
Luck by Chance, directed by Zoya Akhtar, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Trust Me.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Axel & Pixel or SpongeBob's Truth or Square.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 15 January 2009
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 January 2009!
Which were the important events of 15 January 2009 ?
- Kerala in India - Makaravilakku or Makara Sankranthy at Sabarimala.
- Jallikattu in South India.
- United States - Traditionally, Martin Luther King Day.
- North Korea - Korean Alphabet Day.
- Malawi - John Chilembwe Day.
- Roman Catholic Church - Saint Ides, virgin, died January 15, 570.
- Roman Empire - Second day of the Carmentalia in honor of Carmenta.
- Wikipedia Day.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 15 January
- Bank of America, the largest U.S. bank, posts its first quarterly loss in 17 years, of US$1.79 billion.
- A US Airways Airbus 320 Flight 1549 makes an emergency landing into the Hudson River off New York City shortly after takeoff from LaGuardia Airport, after birds disable both engines. All 155 passengers and crew members are safely rescued.
- The US Mint releases the 2009 Native American dollar to circulation.
- British Member of Parliament John McDonnell (Hayes and Harlington) is suspended after manhandling the ceremonial mace during House of Commons proceedings. (BBC News)
- President George W. Bush bids farewell to the United States in a 15-minute televised address, during which he touted his record and warned his successor, Barack Obama, to maintain an aggressive stance against terrorism. (AP via Google News)
- Sweden's National Bank announces that all 1-krona coins minted in 2009 will carry a new motif on their reverse to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Finland's separation from Sweden. (Riksbanken)
- The International Year of Astronomy's opening ceremony is held at UNESCO headquarters in Paris. (France 24)
- A sprinkler incident at a Toronto, Ontario, Canada hydro power station sparks a major power outage in a huge swath in the City's west end affecting more than 250,000 people. (The Globe and Mail)
- NASA announces that methane in Mars' atmosphere ampquotcould be produced either by geological activity or by life.ampquot (BBC)
- China's gross domestic product grew 13nbsppercent during 2007, overtaking Germany to become the world's third largest economy. (BBC)
- 2008–2009 Israel–Gaza conflict:
- Hamas 'in principle' accepts the United Nations' call for an immediate ceasefire in the Gaza Strip. (''Jerusalem Post'')
- An Israeli airstrike kills Palestinian National Authority Interior Minister Said Seyam. (Sky News)
- Pakistan arrests 124 people in a crackdown on terrorism. (Sky News)
- Late 2000s recession:
- Japanese machine orders decrease 16.2 percent from October, the largest percentage drop since April 1987 and more than twice the expected rate. (MarketWatch)
- Jobless claims in the United States rise 54,000 to 524,000, the first increase in three weeks. (Wall Street Journal)
- Hawaii becomes the first U.S. state and the second media market after Wilmington, North Carolina, to convert to digital television. (Honolulu Star Bulletin)
- Despite the corruption scandal surrounding Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich, the United States Senate confirms Roland Burris as a member. (Boston Globe)
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
What news were making the headlines those days in January 2009?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- Beyonce - Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)
- Live Your Life - T.I. Featuring Rihanna
- Chopped 'N' Skrewed - T-Pain Featuring Ludacris
- Miss Independent - Ne-Yo
- Trading Places - Usher
- Green Light - John Legend Featuring Andre 3000
- Pop Champagne - Jim Jones & Ron Browz Featuring Juelz Santana
- IfULeave - Musiq Soulchild Featuring Mary J. Blige
- Put It On Ya - Plies Featuring Chris J
- T.I. - Whatever You Like
Top #10 Latin songs
- No Me Doy Por Vencido - Luis Fonsi
- Por Un Segundo - Aventura
- Marco Antonio Solis - No Molestar
- Te Regalo Amores - RKM & Ken-Y
- Lloro Por Ti - Enrique Iglesias
- Espero - Grupo Montez de Durango
- La Arrolladora Banda el Limon de Rene Camacho - Y Que Quede Claro
- Inolvidable - Reik
- Dame Tu Amor - Alacranes Musical
- Cinco Minutos - Gloria Trevi
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Stock Markets and Exchange Rates
The $200 PoGo Instant Digital Camera from Polaroid has a built-in printer that lets you capture and immediately print 2-by-3-inch images. [..]
Citigroup wants to sell unprofitable businesses and troublesome assets, but investors wonder whether other companies will have the will or the means to buy them. [..]
- Gilead Sciences GILD: opens at $47.39
- Union Pacific UNP: opens at $41.52
- United Technologies UTX: opens at $50.03
- HP Inc. HPQ: opens at $35.49
- 1 CHF = 6.0811 CNY
- 1 CAD = 5.4569 CNY
- 1 CAD = 0.8974 CHF
- 1 AUD = 4.5358 CNY
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?