Thursday August 16, 1906
US date format: 8/16/1906, UK date format: 16/8/1906
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo (see birth chart on August 16, 1906). The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman (Liberal), Pope Pius X was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Franz Josef II .
Waiting at the Church, directed by Edwin S. Porter, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1906
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of August 16, 1906?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- A magnitude 8.2 earthquake in Valparaíso, Chile leaves approximately 20,000 dead.
- Franz Josef II: Prince of Liechtenstein (1938-89).