Thursday 16 March 1911
It was Thursday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was William Howard Taft (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Josef Mengele and Pierre Harmel.
A Tale of Two Cities, directed by William Humphrey, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1911
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 March 1911
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 March 1911!
Which were the important events of 16 March 1911 ?
- St. Urho's Day - the fictional patron saint of Finnish immigrants to the US, created by Richard Mattson in 1956
- Latvia - The controversial Latvia Legions are celebrated in Latvia, where about 140,000 men joined the Waffen SS National Legions during World War II, trying to defend Latvia. Since February 23, 2000, this day is no longer an official celebration day.
- Saint Heribert of Cologne (died 1021)
- Saint Eusebia (+680)
- Saint Benedicta (+1260)
- Saint Agapitus
- The first day of the Bacchanalia in ancient Rome
- Josef Mengele: German physician and member of the Nazi party who was known as the "Angel of Death" at the Auschwitz concentration camp during World War II.
- Pierre Harmel: Belgian eminent politician, the Secretary of State and former Foreign Secretary.
- Marion Byron: Actress (Steamboat Bill Jr), dies at 73.
- Harper Goff in Fort Collins: Colorado, USA; designed interior of Nautilus of film 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, designed many Disneyland and EPCOT buildings and attractions, named a Disney Legend in 1993.
- Dr Josef Mengele: German physician and SS officer (d. 1979).
- Stanley Cup: Ottawa Senators beat Port Arthur (Ontario) 13-4.
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1911 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- The Dublin Rag - Ada Jones
- Enrico Caruso - For You Alone
- The Grizzly Bear - American Quartet
- I'm Looking for a Nice Young Fellow Who is Looking for a Nice Young Girl - American Quartet & Ada Jones
- The Old Oaken Bucket - Peerless Quartet (Columbia Male Quartet)