Wednesday 16 March 2011
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Pisces (see planets position on March 16, 2011). The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of March people in US were listening to Born This Way by Lady GaGa.
There Be Dragons, directed by Roland Joffé, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Pale Demon by Kim Harrison was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching My Babysitter's a Vampire.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing DC Universe Online or A Certain Magical Index.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 March 2011
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 March 2011!
Which were the important events of 16 March 2011 ?
- St. Urho's Day - the fictional patron saint of Finnish immigrants to the US, created by Richard Mattson in 1956
- Latvia - The controversial Latvia Legions are celebrated in Latvia, where about 140,000 men joined the Waffen SS National Legions during World War II, trying to defend Latvia. Since February 23, 2000, this day is no longer an official celebration day.
- Saint Heribert of Cologne (died 1021)
- Saint Eusebia (+680)
- Saint Benedicta (+1260)
- Saint Agapitus
- The first day of the Bacchanalia in ancient Rome
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 March
- Richard Wirthlin: American political strategist for Ronald Reagan.
- Another fire breaks out at the Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant in northern Honshu, Japan. (Reuters via ''Edmonton Examiner'')
- Radiation levels rise inside and outside the plant leading to the temporary evacuation of emergency workers. (Reuters)
- Arab Spring:
- Bahrain security forces drive out protestors from the Pearl Roundabout, resulting in several deaths. (Ynet)
- Forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi shell Misrata as the civil war continues and start an assault on Ajdabiya the last town before the rebel stronghold of Benghazi. (BBC)
- Demonstrators defy a government ban in the Syrian capital Damascus and protest for a second day, demanding the release of political prisoners. (Ahram Online)
- The Israeli Air Force attacks a training site of the Palestinian militant group Al Qassam brigades in the southern part of Gaza City in response to a rocket launched from the Gaza Strip at the Israeli southern communities in the Sdot Negev Regional Council in the southern district of Israel. Palestinians reported that three people were killed in the attack and three were wounded. (idfspokesperson.com)
- The Japanese yen reaches a postwar high against the United States dollar on the basis that Japanese insurers will redeem overseas assets to pay for the cost of the Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. (Business Week)
- Fukushima I nuclear accidents:
- Gregory Jaczko, the head of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission tells a United States Congressional panel that his Commission is recommending a higher exclusion zone. (Voice of America)
- Japanese earthquake and tsunami:
- The death toll from the Japanese earthquake and tsunami rises to 4,277 with at least 8,194 missing. (NineMSN)
- The Emperor of Japan Akihito expresses his condolences to the victims of the earthquake and tsunami. (AP via ''The Houston Chronicle'')
- Police in Cambodia ask prosecutors to charge recruitment firm TP with illegally detaining its staff. (BBC)
- Raymond Davis, an official with the United States embassy in Pakistan, is acquitted of charges of two counts of murder and released from jail after compensation is paid to the victims' families, the result of intense diplomatic talks between the United States and Pakistan. (''Times of Pakistan'')
- Hillary Clinton, the United States Secretary of State, states that she will not serve a second term in President Obama's Cabinet if he is reelected in 2012 and will retire from public life. (Huffington Post)
- Michigan protests:
- The Governor of Michigan Rick Snyder signs legislation giving enhanced powers to emergency managers appointed to manage cities and schools including the power to terminate union contracts. (AP via the ''The Columbus Republic'')
- Michigan State Police remove eleven protesters in the State Capitol following a rally attended by thousands of people. (''Detroit Free Press'')
- The organisers of the 2011 Rugby World Cup in New Zealand decide to reschedule games originally due to be held in Christchurch due to damage caused to Lancaster Park by the 2011 Canterbury earthquake. (''Sydney Morning Herald'')
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- Moment 4 Life - Nicki Minaj Featuring Drake
- 6 Foot 7 Foot - Lil Wayne Featuring Cory Gunz
- Love Faces - Trey Songz
- Look At Me Now - Chris Brown Featuring Lil Wayne & Busta Rhymes
- Fall For Your Type - Jamie Foxx Featuring Drake
- All Of The Lights - Kanye West
- No BS - Chris Brown
- You Be Killin Em - Fabolous
- Keri Hilson - Pretty Girl Rock
- Down On Me - Jeremih Featuring 50 Cent
Top #10 Latin songs
- No Me Digas Que No - Enrique Iglesias Featuring Wisin & Yandel
- Corazon Sin Cara - Prince Royce
- Ni Lo Intentes - Julion Alvarez y Su Norteno Banda
- Me Encantaria - Fidel Rueda
- Danza Kuduro - Don Omar & Lucenzo
- Llueve El Amor - Tito "El Bambino" El Patron
- Bon, Bon - Pitbull
- Loca - Shakira Featuring El Cata
- Violento - Gracias A Dios
- Shakira - Sale El Sol
Top #10 Rock songs
- Rope - Foo Fighters
- Cage The Elephant - Shake Me Down
- Help Is On The Way - Rise Against
- The Cave - Mumford & Sons
- The Black Keys - Tighten Up
- Linkin Park - Waiting For The End
- Diamond Eyes (Boom-Lay Boom-Lay Boom) - Shinedown
- Welcome To The Family - Avenged Sevenfold
- Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man
- Isolation - Alter Bridge
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Stock Markets and Exchange Rates
- Gilead Sciences GILD: opens at $39.50
- Union Pacific UNP: opens at $92.63
- United Technologies UTX: opens at $79.32
- HP Inc. HPQ: opens at $40.81
- 1 CHF = 7.3036 CNY
- 1 CAD = 6.6114 CNY
- 1 CAD = 0.9062 CHF
- 1 AUD = 6.429 CNY
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?