Saturday 12 March 2011
It was Saturday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of March people in US were listening to Born This Way by Lady GaGa.
Detention, directed by Joseph Kahn, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Union Quilters by Jennifer Chiaverini was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Chandragupta Maurya.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 – Defiance or Minecraft.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 March 2011!
Which were the important events of 12 March 2011 ?
- Ancient Latvia - Gregoru Diena observed.
- Flag Day in Venezuela.
- "National Day" of the Republic of Jamtland
- Sweden - Namesday of Crown Princess Victoria, an Official Flag Day.
- Mauritius - National Day.
- St. Justina
- St. Jozefina
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast day of: St. Theophanes the Confessor
- Arbor Day in China.
- St. Maximilian
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 12 March
- 2011 Libyan civil war:
- The three Royal Netherlands Navy personnel captured 12 days ago by armed men loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi are released after negotiations after Greek Deputy Foreign Minister Dimitris Dollis secured their release and oversaw their evacuation to Athens, Greece. The crew was trying to rescue a Dutch citizen from Libya when armed men captured them. (NPR)
- Forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi take control of the oil port of Ra's Lanuf. (BBC)
- The Arab League calls for a UN imposed no-fly zone on Libya, and also recognizes the National Transitional Council as the government of Libya. (Al Jazeera)
- A Palestinian militant armed with a knife infiltrates the West Bank settlement of Itamar and stabs to death two Israeli parents and three of their children. (''New York Times'')
- Yemeni police storm a protest site in the capital Sana'a resulting in at least one death and dozens of injuries. (Al Jazeera)
- At least 23 people die in an attack on the South Sudan town of Malakal. (Alert Net)
- 2011 Sendai earthquake and tsunami
- Analysts believe that a nuclear meltdown may be occurring at the Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant disabled by the Japanese earthquake with a state of emergency declared at five plants. (Stratfor via ''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- An explosion is heard at the site of the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant with four workers injured and residents warned of radiation leaks. (Sky News)
- Residents within a six mile radius of the plant are evacuated and residents within 20 miles are warned to stay indoors. (Irish Examiner)
- Quake survivors flee south from northern Japan describing the situation in their hometowns as ampquotunimaginable.ampquot (CNN)
- There are 9,500 people unaccounted for in the town of Minamisanriku in Miyagi prefecture. (CNN)
- Fifty thousand Japan Self-Defense Forces personnel are involved in search and rescue efforts. (CNN)
- Between 300 and 400 bodies are discovered in Rikuzentakata, Iwate Prefecture. (''Taipei Times'')
- One Canadian citizen is confirmed killed in the disaster. (CTV News)
- Fifteen people die in a bus accident in The Bronx, New York, USA. (NBC New York)
- 83 people are rescued from a floating restaurant after it drifted away carrying 150 passengers on the flooded Ohio River in Covington, Kentucky, USA, and became lodged under the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge. (''CTV Edmonton'')
- An estimated 800 motorists are stranded on Interstate 94 and U.S. Route 83 in North Dakota by a blizzard. (''Bismarck Tribune'')
- South Sudan accuses Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir of attempting to overthrow the southern government. (Reuters)
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 2011 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 12 March 2011
Serie AItalian Football
- Cesena - Juventus : 2 - 2
Jupiler LeagueFootball (Belgium)
- Charleroi - Standard : 0 - 2
- Club Brugge - Kortrijk : 4 - 1
- Eupen - Anderlecht : 1 - 1
- Genk - Westerlo : 0 - 2
Bundesliga 1Football (Germany)
- Bayern Munich - Hamburg : 6 - 0
- Hoffenheim - Dortmund : 1 - 0
- Kaiserslautern - Freiburg : 2 - 1
- Schalke 04 - Ein Frankfurt : 2 - 1
Bundesliga 2Football (Germany)
- Fortuna Dusseldorf - Paderborn : 0 - 0
- Union Berlin - Augsburg : 0 - 0
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?