Thursday 18 September 2008
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Whatever You Like by T.I..
Martyrs, directed by Pascal Laugier, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while The Revolution by Ron Paul was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Mode After Hours.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Away: Shuffle Dungeon or Chronicles of Mystery: The Scorpio Ritual.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 September 2008!
Which were the important events of 18 September 2008 ?
- Also see September 18 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Chile - Independence Day (first junta 1810)
- RC Saints - Feast day of St Joseph of Cupertino and Methodius of Olympus
- In ancient Greece, the fifth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 18 September
- Ron Lancaster: American-born Canadian football player and coach (d. 2008).
- 2008 South Ossetia war:
- US President George W. Bush will urge Russia to honor its commitment to fully withdraw troops from Georgia during his speech at the United Nations General Assembly next week, a top White House official said Friday. (AFP via Google News)
- Rozi Khan, the Governor of the Chora District in Afghanistan, is killed in a firefight involving Australian Army soldiers. (ABC News Australia)
- Sri Lankan Civil War: The Sri Lanka Navy sinks 10 Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) boats and kills 25 LTTE rebels in heavy fighting off the port of Nachikkudah in Sri Lanka, according to the navy. (Reuters via ''The International Herald Tribune'')
- 2008 Russian financial crisis:
- Trading is suspended for the third day in succession on Russia's two main stock exchanges, the MICEX and the dollar-denominated RTS, amidst fear of financial collapse. News agencies are quoting Russia's Finance Minister, Alexei Kudrin, as saying trading on Russian exchanges won't resume until September 19. (MarketWatch)
- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev orders ministers to inject another 500 billion rubles (£10.8 billion, US$20 billion) of funds from the state budget into the markets and pledges in remarks broadcast on national television that the financial system would receive ampquotall necessary supportampquot. (''The Times'')
- Subprime mortgage crisis:
- British bank Lloyds TSB completes a £12.2bn takeover of rival HBOS, the UK's largest mortgage lender. The Competition Commission has allowed the deal as it has government backing, despite the fact that it will leave Lloyd's HBOS in control of a third of the UK mortgage market. (BBC News)
- The Swedish National Debt Office announces it is putting a temporary hold on its market commitment in treasury bills due to the spike in demand for treasury bonds, which are seen as a safe investment during rocky periods in the financial markets. (Riksgäldskontoret)
- Republican presidential candidate John McCain calls for Christopher Cox, Chairman of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, to be dismissed. (''The Wall Street Journal'')
- Kraft Foods replaces American International Group in the Dow Jones Industrial Average. (Reuters via ''Forbes'')
- The Securities and Exchange Commission declares an emergency ban on shorting financial-sector stocks. (MSNBC)
- A United States Army CH-47 Chinook helicopter crashes in southern Iraq killing seven United States soldiers. (AP via ''The New York Times'')
- Pirates hijack a Greek bulk carrier with 25 crew aboard off the coast of Somalia. (AP via Google News) (Wikinews)
- Bruessel/EU:In European media, journalists report that some US politicians and military personnel supported with financial help the Anti-Europe Movement in Ireland against the Treaty of Lisbon. Ftd:USA sollen EU-Vertrag sabotiert haben
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2008 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?