Sunday 23 February 1947
It was Sunday, under the sign of Pisces (see planets position on February 23, 1947). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include John McWethy and Pia Kjaersgaard.
Pursued, directed by Raoul Walsh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching Muffin the Mule.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 23 February 1947
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 February 1947!
Which were the important events of 23 February 1947 ?
- Saint Milburga
- Roman Empire - Terminalia held in honor of Terminus.
- Russia - Defender of the Fatherland Day (formerly Red Army Day or Day of Soviet Army and Navy).
- Blessed odilia of Mombeek
- Guyana - Mashramani-Republic Day.
- Brunei - National Day.
- Catholicism - Feast day of Saint Polycarp of Smyrna (died 155)
- Saint Lazarus (d.867)
- Pia Kjaersgaard: Danish politician.
- John McWethy: American journalist (d. 2008).
- Shakira Caine: Guyana -- Actress (Man Who be King) / Miss Guyana (1967).
- Pia Kjærsgaard: Danish politician.
- Anton Mosimann: Swiss chef and author.
- Gen Eisenhower opens drive to raise $170M in aid for European Jews
- American General Dwight Eisenhower opens drive to raise US$170 million in aid for European Jews.
- The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is founded.
- John C. Hennessy, Jr., brings the first Volkswagen Beetle to the United States. He purchased the 1946 VW from the U.S. Army Post Exchange in Frankfurt, Germany, while serving in the U.S. Army. The Beetle was shipped from Bremerhaven, arriving in New York this day.Copies of the bill of sale as well as the shipping documents and a letter from the Port of New York confirming the arrival of the VW can be found in Hennessy’s book ''The Bride and the Beetle''.
- The state of Prussia officially ceases to exist.
- The worst-ever train crash in Japan kills 184 people.
- The United States grants France a military base in Casablanca.
- In Taiwan, civil disorder is put down with large loss of civilian lives.
- The International Monetary Fund begins to operate.
- Wernher von Braun marries his first cousin, the 18-year-old Maria von Quirstorp.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1947 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Anniversary Song - Tex Beneke & The Glenn Miller Orchestra
- Anniversary Song - Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians