Saturday 23 January 1943US date format: 1/23/1943, UK date format: 23/1/1943
It was Saturday, under the sign of Aquarius (see planets position on January 23, 1943). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Pierre Steinmetz and Bill Gibb.
The Kid Rides Again, directed by Sam Newfield, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1943
On TV people were watching Barnyard WAAC.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 23 January 1943
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 January 1943!
Which were the important events of 23 January 1943 ?
- Pie Day
- The Saddest day of the year is January 23 according to a recent study completed by the Cardiff University in Cardiff, Wales (a part of the Russell Group of British universities). 
- Roman Catholic Church: Feast of Blessed Marianne of Molokai
- Pierre Steinmetz: French politician, a member of the Constitutional Council of France since 2004.
- Bill Gibb: Scottish leading fashion designer.
- Gil Gerard: American actor and producer.
- Gary Burton: American vibraphone player and composer.
- Gil Gerard in Little Rock: Arkansas, USA; actor (Buck Rogers in 25th Century).
- Özhan Canaydın: Turkish basketball player and businessman (d. 2010).
- William E: "Bill" Gibb; Scottish fashion designer.
- Larry Winters: Scottish murderer who is portrayed by actor Ian Glen in the film "Silent Scream.
- Alexander Woollcott: Critic, dies at 56 of a heart attack while on the radio.
- British 8th army marches into Tripoli
- 66.34 cm (26.12), Hoegees Camp, California (state record)
- World War II: Australian and American forces finally defeat the Japanese army in Papua. This turning point in the Pacific War marks the beginning of the end of Japanese aggression.
- Duke Ellington plays at Carnegie Hall in New York City for the first time.
- 66.34cm (26.12 inches) rain at Hoegees Camp, California (state precipitation record).
- Japanese Mount Austen on Guadalcanal captured.
- American critic Alexander Woolcott suffers a heart attack during a radio show, and dies four hours later.
- Detroit Red Wings scores NHL record 8 goals in one period.