Thursday 24 December 1936, Christmas Eve
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Ivan Lawrence .
After the Thin Man, directed by W.S. Van Dyke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1936
while Drums Along the Mohawk by Walter D. Edmonds was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Sea Stories.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1936!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1936 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Ivan Lawrence: English lawyer and politician.
- 1st radioactive isotope medicine administered, Berkeley, California
- The first radioactive isotope medicine is administered in Berkeley, California.
- Release of the film Natalka Poltavka in Ukraine, the first filmed Russian opera.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1936 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Easy To Love - Ray Noble & His Orchestra (Vocal Al Bowlly)
- Bing Crosby - Let's Call A Heart A Heart
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?