Monday 24 October 2011
It was Monday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Someone Like You by Adele.
In Time, directed by Andrew Niccol, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Son of Neptune: The Heroes of Olympus, Book Two by Rick Riordan was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Void.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Bleach: Soul Resurrección or Blocks That Matter.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 2011!
Which were the important events of 24 October 2011 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 24 October
- Kenyan-Somalian military operation:
- Kenyan and Somali forces prepare to take the Somali town of Afmadow, defended by Islamist al-Shabaab militiamen. (''Daily Nation'')
- Aftermath of the 2011 Libyan civil war:
- The corpses of 53 pro-Muammar Gaddafi fighters are found in Sirte, all having apparently been summarily executed by NTC troops. (BBC)
- The Tokyo Stock Exchange announces that it is asking for more disclosure from the embattled Japanese camera and imaging equipment manufacturer Olympus, which is facing a stock price collapse following the dismissal of its CEO, Michael Woodford. The TSE cannot at this time confirm violations of any listing requirements by Olympus. (Reuters)
- Torrential rain causes flooding in parts of the United Kingdom, with Cornwall, West Devon, Pembrokeshire and Northern Ireland most affected. (BBC)
- Julian Assange's whistleblowing website Wikileaks announces that it will suspend the publication of classified files and will instead focus on fundraising, after a ampquotfinancial blockadeampquot by numerous American companies reportedly destroys 95% of the site's revenue. ''(The Guardian)''
- The British House of Commons votes to reject a proposed referendum on Britain's membership of the European Union, with 483 MPs voting against the proposal and 111 voting in favour. Among those who supported the proposal were 81 Conservative Party members, who rebelled against the anti-referendum stance of Prime Minister David Cameron, the leader of the Conservative Party. (BBC)
- Ghulam Nabi Azad, India's Minister of Health and Family Welfare, reports that the country has almost entirely eradicated polio through a vaccination program which immunises over 170 million children every year. No new polio cases have been reported in India for over nine months. (BBC)
- A coronal mass ejection makes the Northern Lights visible over much of North America. (Space Weather)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 24 October 2011
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?