Friday 14 October 2011
It was Friday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Someone Like You by Adele.
The Artist, directed by Michel Hazanavicius, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Carnation.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butoden or Tetris: Axis.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 October 2011!
Which were the important events of 14 October 2011 ?
- Also see October 14 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- French Republican Calendar - Navet (Turnip) Day, twenty-third day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Teachers' Day, or National Education Day in Poland
- World Standards Day (from ISO, IEC, ITU)
- RC Saints - Pope Callistus I
- World Organ Donation Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 14 October
- U.S. President Barack Obama authorizes the deployment of up to 100 American soldiers to Uganda, South Sudan, the Central African Republic, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo to assist in operations against the Lord's Resistance Army insurgency. (''Wall Street Journal'')
- A United States drone attack kills a further four militants in Waziristan near Pakistan's border with Afghanistan it is the third such attack in 48 hours. (AFP via Google)
- Apple Inc. releases its latest smartphone model, the iPhone 4S. (MSNBC)
- Thousands of Qantas passengers in Australia face further disruption and cancellation of flights as the airline's maintenance engineers go on strike. (SBS)
- Credit rating agency Standard Poor's cuts Spain's credit rating to AA- with a negative outlook, as the European debt crisis deepens. (Bloomberg)
- Google announces that it plans to shut down its Google Buzz social network. (CNN)
- Microsoft completes its acquisition of Internet phone company Skype for US$8.5 billion. (''The Register'')
- A 6.7 magnitude earthquake occurs near the Papua New Guinean city of Lae. (ABC News Australia)
- A JH-7 jet fighter crashes at an air show in Pucheng County in China's Shaanxi Province, leaving one pilot injured and another still missing. (Xinhua)
- The Prime Minister of Thailand, Yingluck Shinawatra, reassures residents that the capital, Bangkok, will largely escape from major flooding over the weekend. An estimated 289 people have been killed by flooding in Thailand since July 2011. (Reuters)
- The Prime Minister of Italy, Silvio Berlusconi, survives his fifty-third no-confidence vote in the Parliament of Italy by 316 votes to 301. (''International Business Times'')
- The British Secretary of State for Defence, Liam Fox, resigns amid allegations over his working relationship with lobbyist Adam Werritty. (BBC)
- British Cabinet Office Minister Oliver Letwin apologises after he is photographed dumping Parliamentary papers ndash including confidential constituents' letters ndash into a public bin in London's St. James's Park. (BBC)
- A stromatolite colony is found at Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland. (BBC)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 14 October 2011
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?