Sunday 26 December 1909
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was William Howard Taft (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Oldřich Nejedlý and Zora Arkus-Duntov.
El pobre Valbuena, directed by Segundo de Chomn, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1909
while The Trail of the Lonesome Pine by John Fox, Jr. was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 December 1909!
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the important events of 26 December 1909 ?
- First day of Kwanzaa
- Australia - Proclamation Day (South Australian public holiday), for the foundation of the Australian state of South Australia on December 28, 1836 but commemorated on this day.
- Wrenboys celebrate Wren in Ireland
- Period of Ursids meteor shower ends about this day
- Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia - Tsunami Awareness Day/Tsunami Memorial (or Remembrance) Day
- Mandala Pooja at Sabarimala in Kerala, India
- First day of Junkanoo street parade in the Bahamas (the second day is on the New Year's Day)
- Wren day in Ireland and the Isle of Man.
- Boxing Day in the Commonwealth of Nations.
- The first day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- St. Stephen's Day, a public holiday in Catalonia, Croatia, Czech Republic, and the Republic of Ireland.
- R.C. Saints - Saint Stephen
- South Africa - Day of Goodwill, a public holiday
- Slovenia - Independence and Unity Day (1990)
- Oldřich Nejedlý
- Zora Arkus-Duntov: Belgian-born American engineer.
- Ninì Pietrasanta: Italian climber, the wife of Gabriele Boccalatte.
- Matt Gordy: American pole vaulter (d. 1989).
- Frederic Remington: American painter sculptor and illustrator (d. 1909).
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1909 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- I'm Glad I'm a Boy - I'm Glad I'm a Girl - Ada Jones & Billy Murray
- It's Hard to Kiss Your Sweetheart (When the Last Kiss Means Good-Bye) - Frank Stanley & Elise Stevenson
- Let's Go in to a Picture Show - Byron G. Harlan
- Down at the Huskin' Bee - Arthur Collins & Byron Harlan
- Sadie Salome, Go Home! - Edward M. Favor
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?