Friday 24 December 1909, Christmas Eve
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on December 24, 1909). The US president was William Howard Taft (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Barney Ross and Adam Popovich.
Excelsior, directed by Wu Min-Hsiung, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1909
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 24 December 1909
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1909!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1909 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Barney Ross: Welterweight Boxing Champ (1934), dies at age 57.
- Adam Popovich: composer.
- Adam Rapacki: Polish minister of Foreign Affairs (1956-68).
- No?l Jacquemart: Sedan EXecutives.
- Nicolaas G Pierson director Suriname/Dutch Bank: dies at age 80.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1909 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Let's Go in to a Picture Show - Byron G. Harlan
- Sadie Salome, Go Home! - Edward M. Favor
- I'm Glad I'm a Boy - I'm Glad I'm a Girl - Ada Jones & Billy Murray
- Down at the Huskin' Bee - Arthur Collins & Byron Harlan
- It's Hard to Kiss Your Sweetheart (When the Last Kiss Means Good-Bye) - Frank Stanley & Elise Stevenson