Wednesday 26 December 1917
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Frances Minton and Rose Woods.
The Legion of Death, directed by Tod Browning, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 December 1917!
Which were the important events of 26 December 1917 ?
- First day of Kwanzaa
- Australia - Proclamation Day (South Australian public holiday), for the foundation of the Australian state of South Australia on December 28, 1836 but commemorated on this day.
- Wrenboys celebrate Wren in Ireland
- Period of Ursids meteor shower ends about this day
- Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia - Tsunami Awareness Day/Tsunami Memorial (or Remembrance) Day
- Mandala Pooja at Sabarimala in Kerala, India
- First day of Junkanoo street parade in the Bahamas (the second day is on the New Year's Day)
- Wren day in Ireland and the Isle of Man.
- Boxing Day in the Commonwealth of Nations.
- The first day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- St. Stephen's Day, a public holiday in Catalonia, Croatia, Czech Republic, and the Republic of Ireland.
- R.C. Saints - Saint Stephen
- South Africa - Day of Goodwill, a public holiday
- Slovenia - Independence and Unity Day (1990)
- Frances Minton: British well-known and prolific artist who taught at a prominent London art school.
- Rose Woods: American government employee who is known for the tape erasure that deleted Watergate scandal evidence.
- 1st NHL defensemen to score a goal: Toronto Maple Leaf Harry Cameron
- Fed government took over operation of American RR for duration of WWI
- United States president Woodrow Wilson uses the Federal Possession and Control Act to place most U.S. railroads under the United States Railroad Administration, hoping to more efficiently transport troops and materials for the war effort.
- Following the October Revolution, Alexandra Kollontai is appointed People's Commissar for Social Welfare in the Council of People's Commissars of the Government of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic, the first woman cabinet minister in Europe.
- Female suffrage is enacted in the Netherlands.
- The Lions Clubs International is formed.
- J. R. R. Tolkien begins writing ''The Book of Lost Tales'' (the first version of ''The Silmarillion'') thus Middle-earth is first chronicled this year.
- The True Jesus Church is established in Beijing.
- The first of the Cottingley Fairies photographs are taken in Yorkshire.
- A cholera outbreak kills several German prisoners-of-war being held at Shankend in Scotland.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 26 December 1917
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1917 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- The Crucifix - John McCormack & Reinald Werrenrath
- Lohengrin, Act III Prelude - Boston Symphony Orchestra
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?