Friday 26 December 1947
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on December 26, 1947). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jean Échenoz and Dominique Baratelli.
Brighton Rock, directed by John Boulting, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching Playroom.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 26 December 1947
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 December 1947!
Which were the important events of 26 December 1947 ?
- First day of Kwanzaa
- Australia - Proclamation Day (South Australian public holiday), for the foundation of the Australian state of South Australia on December 28, 1836 but commemorated on this day.
- Wrenboys celebrate Wren in Ireland
- Period of Ursids meteor shower ends about this day
- Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia - Tsunami Awareness Day/Tsunami Memorial (or Remembrance) Day
- Mandala Pooja at Sabarimala in Kerala, India
- First day of Junkanoo street parade in the Bahamas (the second day is on the New Year's Day)
- Wren day in Ireland and the Isle of Man.
- Boxing Day in the Commonwealth of Nations.
- The first day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- St. Stephen's Day, a public holiday in Catalonia, Croatia, Czech Republic, and the Republic of Ireland.
- R.C. Saints - Saint Stephen
- South Africa - Day of Goodwill, a public holiday
- Slovenia - Independence and Unity Day (1990)
- Jean Échenoz
- Dominique Baratelli: French international football (soccer) player, a goalkeeper who played 21 times for France and was called another 25 times as a backup goalkeeper.
- James T Conway: 34th Commandant of the United States Marine Corps.
- Richard L McCormick: President of Rutgers University.
- Jean Echenoz: French writer, winner of the 1999 Goncourt award for his novel "Je m’en vais," published by the "Editions de Minuit.
- Liz Lochhead: Scottish poet and dramatist.
- Carlton Fisk in Vermont: USA; all star catcher (Boston Red Sox, Chicago White Sox).
- James Conway: American general.
- Carlton Fisk: American baseball player.
- Josef Janíček: Czech singer-songwriter guitarist and keyboard player (The Plastic People of the Universe).
- Richard McCormick: American historian and academic.
- Luigi Musso
- Joyce Jillson in Cranston: Rhode Island, USA; psychic/actress (Superchick).
- Cradle Will Ruck opens at Mansfield Theater NYC for 34 performances
- British transfer Heard and McDonald Islands (Indian Ocean) to Australia.
- Heavy snow blankets Northeast USA, buries New York City under 25.8 inches of snow in 16 hours; the same day, Los Angeles sets a record high of 84 degrees F.