Tuesday 30 December 1947
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Michael Burns in Mineola and Stephanus S.
Secret Beyond the Door..., directed by Fritz Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
while Dinner at Antoine's by Frances Parkinson Keyes was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Superman Serials: The Complete 1948 & 1950 Theatrical Serials Collection.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 30 December 1947!
Which were the important events of 30 December 1947 ?
- The sixth day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- R.C. Saints - Pope Felix I (optional memorial)
- Philippines - Rizal Day
- Michael Burns in Mineola: Long Island, New York, USA; actor (Barnaby West - Wagon Train).
- Stephanus S: "Tian" van Merwe; leader (South Africa Democratic Party).
- Jeff Lynne rocker (Electric Light Orchestra - "Telephone Line": Travelling Wilburys).
- Pierre Bodein: French criminal, a recidivist since 1969 with alternating stays in a psychiatric hospital and prison.
- Steve Mix: American athlete, a pro basketball player, he was drafted by the Detroit Pistons in 1969.
- Michael Burns: American actor and historian
- James Kahn: American author screenwriter and producer
- Jeff Lynne: English singer-songwriter guitarist and producer (Electric Light Orchestra Traveling Wilburys The Move and The Idle Race)
- 36th Davis Cup: USA beats Australia in New York (4-1).
- Romanian republic proclaimed.
- King Michael of Romania is forced to abdicate by the Soviet Union-backed Communist government of Romania.
- The Doomsday Clock of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists is introduced.
- The House Un-American Activities Committee begins its investigations into communism in Hollywood.
- Cambridge University begins to admit women as full students.
- Mikhail Kalashnikov's AK-47 assault rifle is accepted as the standard small arm of the Soviet military.
- Raytheon produces the first commercial microwave oven.
- Women's suffrage is granted in Argentina.
- In a cave in and around the Wadi Qumran (near the ruins of the ancient settlement of Khirbet Qumran, on the northwest shore of the Dead Sea), several tall pottery jars containing leather scrolls are discovered, which later become known as the '''Dead Sea scrolls'''.ampquotYear by Year 1947ampquot ndash History Channel International
- By the discovery of promethium in the products of nuclear fission, the last remaining gap of the periodic table is closed.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1947 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?