Saturday 6 December 1947
It was Saturday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Miroslav Vitous and Lawrence Cannon.
The Bishop's Wife, directed by Henry Koster, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
while The Miracle of the Bells by Russell Janne was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Americana.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 December 1947!
Which were the important events of 6 December 1947 ?
- Spain - Constitution Day
- Belgium and the Netherlands celebrate Sinterklaas, a day on which a skinny version of Santa Claus gives the children oranges, candy and toys.
- Finland - Finland Independence Day (from Russia, 1917)
- Canada - National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women
- Also see December 6 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Saint Nicholas
- Miroslav Vitous: Czech jazz musician.
- Lawrence Cannon: Canadian businessman and politician 9th Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs.
- Henk van Woerden: Dutch-South African painter and author (d. 2005).
- Miroslav Vitouš: Czech-American bassist and songwriter (Weather Report).
- The Everglades National Park in Florida is dedicated.
- Arturo Toscanini conducts a concert performance of the first half of Giuseppe Verdi's opera ''Otello'', which was based on William Shakespeare's play ''Othello'', for a broadcast on NBC Radio. The second half of the opera is broadcast a week later.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1947 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?