Thursday 28 August 1924
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Janet Frame and Richard K Sorenson.
Open All Night, directed by Paul Bern, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1924
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 28 August 1924
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 August 1924!
Which were the important events of 28 August 1924 ?
- Many Christian churches: feast day of Saint Augustine of Hippo.
- Hong Kong: Liberation Day (1945)
- Janet Frame: New Zealand -- Novelist (Intensive Care, Owls Do Cry).
- Richard K Sorenson
- Peggy Ryan: American actress and dancer (d. 2004).
- Tony MacGibbon: New Zealand cricketer and engineer (d. 2010).
- Peggy Ryan in Long Beach: California, USA; actress (Jenny - Hawaii Five-O).
- Zalman Schachter-Shalomi: Ukrainian-American rabbi and author (d. 2014).
- Vilayat Khan: Composer.
- Richard Sorenson: American military, United States Marine who received the Medal of Honor during World War II for his heroism during the Marine landing on Kwajalein Atoll on the night of 1 February 1944.
- The Georgian opposition stages the August Uprising against the Soviet Union.
- Georgia rises against the Soviet Union in an abortive rebellion, in which several thousands die.
- The Hanapepe Massacre occurs on Kauai, Hawaii.
- The 8-hour work day is introduced in Belgium.
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1924 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Spain - Paul Whiteman & His Orchestra
- Indiana Moon - John McCormack
- There's Yes! Yes! in Your Eyes - Paul Whiteman & His Orchestra