Thursday 28 August 1924
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Janet Frame and Richard K Sorenson.
The Iron Horse, directed by Kevin Brownlow, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1924
while The Heirs Apparent by Philip Gibbs was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 August 1924!
Which were the important events of 28 August 1924 ?
- Many Christian churches: feast day of Saint Augustine of Hippo.
- Hong Kong: Liberation Day (1945)
- Janet Frame: New Zealand -- Novelist (Intensive Care, Owls Do Cry).
- Richard K Sorenson
- Peggy Ryan: American actress and dancer (d. 2004).
- Richard Sorenson: American military, United States Marine who received the Medal of Honor during World War II for his heroism during the Marine landing on Kwajalein Atoll on the night of 1 February 1944.
- Tony MacGibbon: New Zealand cricketer and engineer (d. 2010).
- Zalman Schachter-Shalomi: Ukrainian-American rabbi and author (d. 2014).
- Peggy Ryan in Long Beach: California, USA; actress (Jenny - Hawaii Five-O).
- Vilayat Khan: Composer.
- The Georgian opposition stages the August Uprising against the Soviet Union.
- Georgia rises against the Soviet Union in an abortive rebellion, in which several thousands die.
- The Hanapepe Massacre occurs on Kauai, Hawaii.
- The 8-hour work day is introduced in Belgium.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1924 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Forget-Me-Not (Means Remember Me) - Benson Orchestra of Chicago
- Don't Mind the Rain - Blossom Seeley
- San - Ted Lewis & His Band
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?