Friday 15 August 1924
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Phyllis Schlafly and Robert Bolt.
Monsieur Beaucaire, directed by Sidney Olcott, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1924
while The Plastic Age by Percy Marks was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1924!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1924 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Phyllis Schlafly: American writer, lawyer, and media celebrity as the nation's best known anti-feminist and the scourge of the ERA.
- Robert Bolt: British playwright (Doctor Zhivago, Bounty), dies at 70.
- Robert Oxton Bolt: Playwright (Man for All Seasons, Dr Zhivago).
- Phyllis Schlafly in Saint Louis: Missouri, USA; right-winger/Eagle Forum president.
- Werner Abrolat: Russian-German actor (d. 1997).
- Yoshirō Muraki: Japanese production designer art director and fashion designer (d. 2009).
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1924 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- What'll I Do? - Vincent Lopez & His Orchestra
- What'll I Do? - Lewis James
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?