Friday 29 December 1911
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was William Howard Taft (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Bernard Saint-Hillier and André Claveau.
Idillio tragico, directed by Baldassarre Negroni, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1911
while The Prodigal Judge by Vaughan Kester was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 December 1911!
Which were the important events of 29 December 1911 ?
- The fourth day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- R.C. Saints - Thomas Becket (optional memorial)
- Bernard Saint-Hillier: French general, who served in World War II and the Algerian War.
- André Claveau: French singer, popular from the 1940s to the 1960s.
- Klaus Fuchs: German physicist and spy (d. 1988).
- San Francisco Symphony is formed.
- Sun Yat-sen becomes the provisional President of the Republic of China; he formally takes office on January 1, 1912.
- Mongolia gains independence from the Qing dynasty.
- The ''Encyclopædia Britannica'' Eleventh Edition is published under American management in England by Cambridge University Press.
- New Zealand-born British physicist Ernest Rutherford deduces the existence of a compact atomic nucleus from scattering experiments.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?