January 1956 calendar
Learn the most interesting events and historical facts that happened in January 1956.
The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Sir Anthony Eden (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
But much more happened on January 1956: find out below
Which were the important events of January 1956?
- 01 Jan 1956 Elvis Presley records Heartbreak Hotel for RCA in Nashville
- 02 Jan 1956 Poujadists / communists win French parliamentary elections
- 03 Jan 1956 A fire damages the top part of the Eiffel Tower.
- 04 Jan 1956 Alexander Tikhonovich Grechaninov, Russian/American composer, dies at age 91.
- 05 Jan 1956 Elvis Presley records Heartbreak Hotel
- 06 Jan 1956 KGNS TV channel 8 in Laredo, TX (NBC / ABC) begins broadcasting
- 07 Jan 1956 Vinoo Mankad scores 231 versus New Zealand, 413 opening stand with Roy.
- 08 Jan 1956 Bollingen Prize for poetry awarded to Conrad Aiken.
- 09 Jan 1956 Abigail Van Buren's "Dear Abby" column first appears in newspapers.
- 10 Jan 1956 Elvis records Heartbreak Hotel
- 14 Jan 1956 Little Richard releases "Tutti Frutti".
- 15 Jan 1956 D Shostakovitch appointed honorary member of Academia Santa Cecilia
- 16 Jan 1956 Egyptian President Nassar pledges to reconquer Palestine.
- 19 Jan 1956 Hoboken dedicates a plaque honoring achievements of Alexander Cartwright in organizing early baseball at Elysian Field.
- 20 Jan 1956 Buddy Holly records Blue Days Black Night in Nashville
- 21 Jan 1956 Comedy in Music (Victor Borge) closes at Golden NYC after 849 performances
- 22 Jan 1956 30 die in a train crash in Los Angeles, California, USA.
- 24 Jan 1956 96.5 cm precipitation at Kilauea Plantation, Hawaii (state record)
- 25 Jan 1956 96.5 cm (38 inches) of rainfall, Kilauea Plantation, Hawaii (state record).
- 26 Jan 1956 Hank Greenberg and Joe Cronin are elected to Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 28 Jan 1956 Elvis Presley made his first US TV appearance
- 30 Jan 1956 Elvis Presley records his version of Blue Suede Shoes
- 31 Jan 1956 Juscelino Kubitschek becomes President of Brazil.
American-Australian actor whose Irish-Catholic family moved to Australia when he was 12.
American entertainer, host of the humorous TV shows "Politically Incorrect" (1997) and “Real Time with Bill Maher” (2003).
French lawyer and politician, the Minister of Economic Affairs since 2007.
American actress; six-foot tall winner of an Oscar for her role in "Accidental Tourist," 1989 and an Oscar nominee for her role in "Thelma...
- See more
Actress (Young Mr Bobbin), dies at 56.
Dutch art Historian (Beeldende Kunst), dies at 84.
German / Swiss Theologist (Urchristentum), dies at 64.
American journalist (Born 1880).
- See more