Sunday 1 January 1956, NewYear’s Day
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on January 1, 1956). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Christine Lagarde and Mark Hurd.
In UK Just Walkin' In The Rain by Johnnie Ray was in the top 5 hits.
La doncella de piedra, directed by Miguel M. Delgado, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Memoirs by Harry S. Truman was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Dr. Hudson's Secret Journal.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 January 1956
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 1956!
Which were the important events of 1 January 1956 ?
- Christine Lagarde: French lawyer and politician, the Minister of Economic Affairs since 2007.
- Mark Hurd
- Koji Yakusho: Japanese actor.
- Mike Mitchell: American basketball player (d. 2011).
- Marc Alfos
- Mark Hughes: American businessman founded Herbalife (d. 2000).
- Sergei Vasiliyevich Avdeyev Russian cosmonaut (Soyuz TM-15: SK TM-28).
- Ziad Rahbani: Lebanese pianist and composer.
- Anatoli Borisovich: Polonsky in Russia; Lieutenant-Colonel/cosmonaut.
- Beatrice Ganz: Swiss pro astrologer.
- Sheila McCarthy: Canadian film actress and international star of "I've Heard the Mermaids Singing" and "Friends, Lovers and Lunatics.
- Sergei Avdeyev: Russian engineer and astronaut.
- Elvis Presley records Heartbreak Hotel for RCA in Nashville
- KHAS TV channel 5 in Hastings, NB (NBC) begins broadcasting
- KOSA TV channel 7 in Odessa, TX (CBS) begins broadcasting
- Sudan (Anglo-Egyptian Sudan) declares independence from Egypt and the UK
- WREC (now WREG) TV channel 3 in Memphis, TN (CBS) begins broadcasting
- The Republic of the Sudan achieves independence from the Egyptian Republic and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- A new year event causes panic and stampedes at Yahiko Shrine, Yahiko, central Niigata, Japan, killing at least 124 people.
- The Anglo-Egyptian Condominium ends in Sudan.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1956 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
Top #9 songs in the UK
- Just Walkin' In The Rain - Johnnie Ray
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rock Around The Clock
- The Green Door - Frankie Vaughan
- Guy Mitchell - Singing The Blues
- Bill Hayes - The Ballad Of Davy Crockett
- Frank Sinatra - Love And Marriage
- Malcolm Vaughan - St Therese Of The Roses
- Rock-A-Beatin' Boogie - Bill Haley & His Comets
- Rip It Up - Bill Haley & His Comets
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?