Sunday 1 January 1956, NewYear’s Day
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Sergei Vasiliyevich Avdeyev Russian cosmonaut (Soyuz TM-15 and Anatoli Borisovich.
In UK Just Walkin' In The Rain by Johnnie Ray was in the top 5 hits.
All That Heaven Allows, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Ten North Frederick by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Chevron Hall of Stars.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 1956!
Which were the important events of 1 January 1956 ?
- Sergei Vasiliyevich Avdeyev Russian cosmonaut (Soyuz TM-15: SK TM-28).
- Anatoli Borisovich: Polonsky in Russia; Lieutenant-Colonel/cosmonaut.
- Koji Yakusho: Japanese actor.
- Beatrice Ganz: Swiss pro astrologer.
- Christine Lagarde: French lawyer and politician, the Minister of Economic Affairs since 2007.
- Sheila McCarthy: Canadian film actress and international star of "I've Heard the Mermaids Singing" and "Friends, Lovers and Lunatics."
- Sergei Avdeyev: Russian engineer and astronaut
- Mark Hughes: American businessman founded Herbalife (d. 2000)
- Mike Mitchell: American basketball player (d. 2011)
- Ziad Rahbani: Lebanese pianist and composer
- Elvis Presley records Heartbreak Hotel for RCA in Nashville
- KHAS TV channel 5 in Hastings, NB (NBC) begins broadcasting
- KOSA TV channel 7 in Odessa, TX (CBS) begins broadcasting
- Sudan (Anglo-Egyptian Sudan) declares independence from Egypt and the UK
- WREC (now WREG) TV channel 3 in Memphis, TN (CBS) begins broadcasting
- The Republic of the Sudan achieves independence from the Egyptian Republic and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- A new year event causes panic and stampedes at Yahiko Shrine, Yahiko, central Niigata, Japan, killing at least 124 people.
- The Anglo-Egyptian Condominium ends in Sudan.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 January 1956
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1956 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
Top #9 songs in the UK
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rock Around The Clock
- Johnnie Ray - Just Walkin' In The Rain
- Frankie Vaughan - The Green Door
- Guy Mitchell - Singing The Blues
- Bill Hayes - The Ballad Of Davy Crockett
- Frank Sinatra - Love And Marriage
- Malcolm Vaughan - St Therese Of The Roses
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rock-A-Beatin' Boogie
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rip It Up
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?