Monday 9 January 1956
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Imelda Staunton and Waltraud Meier.
In UK Sixteen Tons by Tennessee Ernie Ford was in the top 5 hits.
All That Heaven Allows, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while A Night To Remember by Walter Lord was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Chevron Hall of Stars.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 9 January 1956 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Imelda Staunton: British actress.
- Waltraud Meier: German soprano and actress.
- Kimberly Beck Hilton in Glendale: California, USA; actress (Kim - Peyton Place).
- Mike Walczewski: American public address announcer at Madison Square Garden.
- Michel Bidault: French journalist who writes for the 'Moto Revue' motorbike magazine.
- Abigail Van Buren's "Dear Abby" column first appears in newspapers.
- Samir el-Rifai forms government in Jordan.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1956 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?