January 2010 calendar
Learn the most interesting events and historical facts that happened in January 2010.
The US president was Barack Obama (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Gordon Brown (Labour), Pope Benedict XVI was leading the Catholic Church.
But much more happened on January 2010: find out below
Which were the important events of January 2010?
- 01 Jan 2010 At a Lakki Marwat volleyball tournament, a suicide bomber explodes his car, injuring 100 others and killing 105.
- 02 Jan 2010 A petition was signed by 25% of Iceland's voters asking President Olafur Ragnar Grimsson for his veto to a bill requiring the repayment of US$5 Billion to foreign savers who were left out in the collapse of Icelandic banks.
- 03 Jan 2010 Due to Al Qaeda's security threats, the United States and United Kingdom have closed their Yemen embassies.
- 04 Jan 2010 Officially opened is the Burj Khalifa, which is the tallest building in the world.
- 05 Jan 2010 According to reports, as many as 1,000 Solomon Islands residents are now homeless after the tsunami and two earthquakes that struck earlier in the week.
- 06 Jan 2010 Heritage Numismatic Auctions has sold a US 1874 Bickford Gold $10 Pattern at Public Auction for US$1,265,000. The Reed Hawn US 1913 Liberty Head 5-cent Coin sells at $3,737,000.
- 07 Jan 2010 The Guardian newspaper's claims that China tried to "hijack the Copenhagen summit's Accord with China, the Xinhua news agency responded by claiming that Wen Jiabao, the Chinese premier, was not invited to secret US talks on December 17.
- 08 Jan 2010 Three people were killed when gunmen from the Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda, an offshoot of the Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda, attacked the bus carrying the Togo football team as it traveled to the African Cup of Nations 2010.
- 09 Jan 2010 Reports indicate that a magnitude 6.5 earthquake has struck the coast near Eureka in California. There are reports of damage to nearby power lines and outages.
- 10 Jan 2010 Three operatives of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad were killed firing mortars into Israel via Gaza.
- 11 Jan 2010 Ban Ki-moon, Secretary General of the United Nations, outlines seven priorities in 2010 and calls for a renewed focus to sustainable development and ending hunger and disease.
- 12 Jan 2010 Haiti's 2010 earthquake kills an estimated 316,000 people and destroys most of Port-au-Prince.
- 13 Jan 2010 Computer modeling shows that Pine Island Glacier has reached its tipping point for eventual collapse. This is likely to cause a sea-level rise of 52 cm.
- 14 Jan 2010 India celebrates Thai Pongal, Makar Sankranti, and Magh Bihu harvest festival in various places throughout the country (Palayamkottai & Haridwar).
- 15 Jan 2010 This is the longest annular solar eclipse in the 3rd millennium.
- 16 Jan 2010 At 108 years old, Florence Green is thought to be Britain's oldest surviving First World War veteran. She also happens to be the last female First World War veteran. Green served in 1918 with the Women's RAF.
- 17 Jan 2010 At least 200 people are killed when rioting breaks out between Christian and Muslim groups in Jos, Nigeria.
- 18 Jan 2010 Due to a dispute over the Persian Gulf's name, the 2010 Islamic Solidarity Games that were scheduled to be held in Tehran this April have been cancelled.
- 19 Jan 2010 Haiti earthquake, 2010.
- 20 Jan 2010 Republican Scott Brown wins Massachusetts' vacant Senate seat, decreasing the Democrats' majority by 59 seats to 41.
- 21 Jan 2010 Operation Aurora
- 22 Jan 2010 Yukio Hatoyama, the Japanese Prime Minister, has stated that he will resign in case he is found guilty of receiving illegal fund donations.
- 23 Jan 2010 The aftermath of the Haiti earthquake in 2010:
- 24 Jan 2010 The aftermath of the Haiti earthquake in 2010:
- 25 Jan 2010 Live Nation and Ticketmaster have completed their merger following an agreement with United States Department of Justice for the divestment of some interests.
- 26 Jan 2010 Spyker, a Dutch auto company, signs a deal with General Motors to purchase Sweden's Saab for US$74 Million in cash and $326,000,000 in deferred shares.
- 27 Jan 2010 Porfirio Lobo Sasa, the new President of Honduras, ends the 2009 Honduran Constitution Crisis.
- 28 Jan 2010 Five murderers of President Sheikh Mujibur Rahman are Lieutenant Colonel Syed Faruq Rahman and Lieutenant Colonel Sultan Shahriar Rashid Khan. Major AKM Mohiuddin Ahmed Major Bazlul Uda, Lieutenant Colonel Mohiuddin Ahmed and Major AKM Mohiuddin Ahmed were hanged.
- 29 Jan 2010 The Wittelsbach–Graff Diamond is on display in Washington, D.C., United States.
- 30 Jan 2010 Extreme weather can cause chaos, including snow, wind and even death in Bavaria, North Rhine-Westphalia, and possibly three deaths.
- 31 Jan 2010 At least 13 people were killed when gunmen opened fire on a Ciudad Juarez student party.
American child of noted father, his dad is Bo Bice,a singer and an alumnus of "American Idol," a popular TV show of musical competition.
American noted family, the daughter and second child of actor Matthew McConaughey and model/designer Camila Alves.
American child of noted family, her parents are actor Mark Wahlberg and Rhea Durham.
- See more
American novelist (Born 1919).
American historian author and activist (d. 2010).
British actress onscreen from 1944.
British actress onscreen from 1944.
- See more